All of those who are capable of doing so eventually form some kind of opinion (faith, if you will) concerning the unprovable existence of a superior rationality (god or gods) in the universe, even if it is denial. Perhaps everyone would profit by organizing their own resolution of that matter.
For starters, Old Bill offers the “bare bones” of his personal convictions.
No Arguments Intended…Just Persuasions Of billover70 (bos)
1. God is !!!!!!!!
2. God is an entity that transcends time and space as they are understood by humans.
3. God possesses an omnipotent omniscient omnipresence that is to the things of our known universe as the salt water of our oceans is to the creatures therein.
4. Humans possess a consciousness which bears some minute similarity to that of God.
5. The man we call Jesus of Nazareth was God on this planet, and the uniting of our consciousness with that of God depends upon what we do with that Jesus.
The Psalms Indicate That David Wished That No One Be Confused Because Of Him…And So Does bos, In Like Manner
6. It is recorded that God’s ways and understanding are as high above ours as the heavens above the earth.
7. God must reason with us in a manner that is within the scope of our understanding at that particular time in history (called divine accommodation).
8. We must reason with each other by revealing our thoughts in a form of expression we call words that are spoken, written or demonstrated.
9. The man we call “Jesus” in the English language (the audible and written expressions of his name in other languages are very different) taught and demonstrated the perfection of God in human flesh.
10. Jesus has therefore been called the Word of God
.Why Would God Intend For Jesus To Die?…One Perspective On One Possible Answer
11. God has chosen to test humans by their degree of belief in Him through things they do not actually see.
12. Normal human instinct and love would suggest giving one’s own life to prevent the death of his or her own child.
13. Further, no one with normal instincts would ask their child to suffer merciless beating and go to certain death for the sake of other people.
14. If humans will not receive the depth of love involved in such a sacrifice (His love is greater than the strongest human love), then nothing will reach their understanding.
15. Hence: John 3:16 removes all human failings as impediments to the union of man and God.
The Man Who Faced The Ordeal
16. The man, Jesus, was the consciousness of God arriving on the stage of history in a tent of human flesh.
17. His arrival had been prophesied and foreshadowed for thousands of years.
18. He was subject to love, grief, joy, sadness, hunger, thirst, pain and all other human conditions and feelings.
19. Repeating 9, He taught and lived the perfection of God.
20. In spite of 18, Jesus resisted not the evil of undeserved pain and death, and because of 11 thru 15, He provided the Romans 10:9-10 path to 5.
Logical Reasoning For Christian Belief
21. The “startling alternatives” expressed by C.S. Lewis and expounded by Dr.Eugene Scott provide a logical person with a basis for belief in something that cannot be currently witnessed.
22. That is, the reported words of Jesus forces one to choose whether He was a fraud, mentally deranged, or who He said He was… the Son of God… representing the only way to an eternal existence with God.
23. The disciples who received this teaching and witnessed the miracles obviously remained less than convinced because they feared for their own safety when they saw Jesus captured, beaten and crucified.
24. A sudden cataclysmic change in their behavior , which the disciples claimed to be the result of witnessing the risen Christ, led to their willingness to suffer horrible lonely deaths because they preached Jesus’ resurrection and teachings in far flung regions of the then known world.
25. Here again, as in 18 & 20, we see the willingness to submit to the ultimate sacrifice as proof of incontrovertible belief.
The Rock… Again, No Debate Intended…Just Persuasions Of bos
26. The faith of all Christians will be assailed by persecution, affliction and excessive desires for worldly possessions and pleasures as well as atheistic attacks involving questionable and enigmatic passages in scriptural records.
27. Regardless of 26 and various denominational doctrines and rituals established by man, there stands a rock which remains eternally solid.
28. It is written that Jesus asked, ” Whom say you that I am?” and Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God ” to which Jesus responded, “…flesh and blood has not revealed it unto you, but my Father which is in heaven…you are Peter, and upon this rock (bos is persuaded that the truth of the statement of Peter is to be the rock, not a man) I will build my church” (The church is Jesus’ body of believers, not a building or an organization ).
29. It is this belief, confirmed through a sincere expression of Romans 10: 9-10, that furnishes the foundation from which can be initiated a continually developing relationship with God.
30. Although complete understanding is beyond us until “we will know as we are known”, bos believes that whatever is to be our activity at the next level of consciousness will be the consequence of what we believe, say, learn and do at this current level.
Each of these statements begs complete discussion, but Insistent Daughter always scolds for lack of brevity…so…just the bare bones.